Neck pain is a common complaint among people of all ages and occupations. It may be caused by muscle strain from poor posture, such as hunching over a computer, or it may result from osteoarthritis. In rare cases, neck pain may be a sign of a serious medical condition.
What are the symptoms of neck pain?
Symptoms of neck pain may include:
- Muscle spasms and tightness
- Decreased range of motion of the head
- Pain that worsens when holding the head in a certain position for an extended period
Seek medical attention if neck pain is accompanied by shooting pain into the shoulder or down the arm, or by loss of strength or numbness in the arms or hands. These may be symptoms of a more serious condition.
Why choose Achieve Brain & Spine for neck pain treatment?
- You will have full access to our experienced spine and brain surgeons, who offer progressive regenerative treatments, along with cutting-edge surgical procedures.
- With every neck pain treatment in Los Angeles, we focus on achieving the optimal patient outcome.
- Our compassionate, friendly medical team will take all the time needed to educate you on your treatment options and make sure you know what to expect with treatment and recovery.
When should you see a doctor for neck pain?
If you have neck pain after a fall, a sports injury, or a motor vehicle accident, see a doctor immediately. You should also contact your doctor if you have neck pain that:
- Is severe
- Spreads down the arms or legs
- Persists without relief for several days
- Is accompanied by headache, tingling, weakness, or numbness
Diagnostic imaging for neck pain
We may order diagnostic imaging to determine the cause of your neck pain.
Diagnostics may include:
- X-rays: This can reveal areas of the neck in which bone spurs or disc degeneration are causing the nerves or spinal cord to be pinched.
- CT scan: This diagnostic tool combines images taken from many different directions to create cross-sectional views of the inner structures of the neck.
- MRI: Radio waves and magnetic fields used in an MRI create detailed images of bones and soft tissues, including the spinal cord and the nerves that come from it.
Other diagnostic testing may include:
- Blood test: To look for evidence of infection or inflammatory conditions that may be contributing to your pain.
- Electromyography (EMG): If a pinched nerve is suspected, EMG may be performed. This involves inserting a fine needle into a muscle and performing certain tests to measure speed of nerve conduction.
What are the treatment options for neck pain?
A wide range of options are available for neck pain treatment in Los Angeles, depending on the severity, duration, nature, and cause of the symptoms:
- Acute neck pain often responds to conservative treatments, such as rest and over-the-counter medications.
- Chronic neck pain sufferers may benefit from physical therapy, traction, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), spinal manipulation, stretching, or a soft cervical collar to support the neck.
- Neck pain that does not respond to the above treatments may be treated with steroid injections or spinal surgery to relieve compression of the nerve root or spinal cord.
© Achieve Brain & Spine. All Rights Reserved. Website and Marketing: S3E, Digital Marketing Company Los Angeles